Before designing, I have to know roughly about the volume (weight and space) of the basket that parents need for the groceries. I went to Woolworth and assume groceries for two days.
The weight is about 7.57 to 8kg and the size of the basket is 43cm length x 29cm wide x 25cm depth. However, one basket is usually not enough for family grocery needs.
Baby nappies and tissue paper take a lot of space in the shopping basket.
Taga is a multifunctional urban vehicle, uniquely designed
to suit the needs of today’s parents and children.
Taga combines the benefits of a premium stroller and
a carrier bicycle to create a new transportation modality.
Taga is designed to be reliable and long lasting. Good for newborns as well as toddlers, accommodating one or two children. Can also be used as a bike for teenagers or as a shopping bike.
The shopping basket can carry the maximum of 40kg at one time. The price is AUD$275.
Sources from : http://www.tagabikes.com/au/default.asp
Found another stroller that has the shopping bag as the accessories. This is to solve the inconveniences for parents for not having enough storage for groceries shopping. It is a transparent fold-able bag, hang on the stroller and easy to detach. Price is about AUD$60.
Sources from : http://www.pramcity.com.au/joolz-day-pram/
This design is based on multifunctional concept which is the transformation from baby pram to baby car seat to bikes to shopping cart. It is designed by Jeong Haedong and Bae Junseong.
Sources from : http://psipunk.com/babyoom-pram-stroller-and-shopping-cart/
To make clearer statement for my design, I came out with the design brief.
To design storage/ pannier for the grocery shopping that can attach to the existing baby stroller, which is foldable, easy to lift and fit into the car.
- To create the grocery storage that can attach to most of the stroller
- To create a foldable storage system to make it easier to carry
- To discover the attach system that can be easy to install, uninstall and lifting
- To discover the size of the basket that can fit into the car boot with the folding stroller
The challenge for my design:
- Foldable system (the alternative way to fold the panniers)
- Attach to most of the stroller (to observe and explore the frame of the existing stroller)
- The balance and gravity (to observe and explore where is the best position of the panniers to be attached to the stroller)